With so many design options and materials available, how do you choose the perfect baluster system for your commercial or residential staircase? Whether you are seeking a wooden baluster, rich in traditional style, or an elegant, modern metal baluster, there are many factors to consider. In this post, we will discuss the unique characteristics of both baluster systems to help you determine the perfect fit for your staircase.
Metal vs Wooden Balusters – For a Great First Impression
We often say that a staircase makes a significant first impression upon those entering a home or commercial space. One important aspect of each staircase, offering both safety and style, is the baluster system. Both wooden and metal balusters are popular options, and each offers distinct features. Versatile metal complements every style, from curved, straight, L-shape and U-shape staircases. Also versatile, wood serves as the classic option, bringing in southern charm as seen in our recently featured sorority homes blog series.
The Signature Look of Metal Balusters
First, let’s take a look at metal balusters and what makes them so appealing. Extremely popular in interior design today, metal fits all settings, from minimalist office buildings to luxury homes. Several of our most popular metal combinations include:
- Ornate Georgian handrail with round knuckle bars in alternating or repeated designs (view the perfect example in our previous commercial stairs blog)
- Solid and husky mega balusters, paired with different handrail options for a whimsical or modern look
- T-rail handrails with striking clean lines, supported by plain metal bars and simple yet exquisite square, wooden newel posts
- Classic and versatile basket balusters paired with wood or marble treads, offering a twist on luxury curves or popular projects
- Hammered knuckles paired with Newport handrail and detailed box newel posts, trimmed for a classic look
- Scrolls incorporated into any design as an upgraded, elaborate addition
The Charm and Craftsmanship of Wooden Balusters
Metal balusters are indeed a popular trend, but let us not forget about wood and the pure elegance it can bring to a staircase. From colonial to Craftsman staircases, wooden balusters offer a wide array of options. Like metal, they are a great fit for stairs of all styles, both curved and straight.
Consider these popular wooden system combinations:
- Charleston or Hampton turned balusters – the essence of southern charm – paired with ornate Georgian handrail
- Smooth curves of the Monte Carlo handrail paired with custom tapered balusters and newels – a beautiful system to accent a curved stair
- Camden balusters and paneled box newels to complete a Craftsman staircase with clean lines
- Simple 1¼” or 1¾” square wooden balusters, another Craftsman style favorite
- Custom Chippendale pattern, designed and custom cut by our advanced CNC machine to ensure exact measurements and a flawless fit
As you can see, both wooden and metal balusters offer great style and versatility. For additional inspiration, check out our product brochure for a catalog of wood and metal baluster options. Our experienced team is available to guide you through the decision-making process, working with you to design, build and install the perfect staircase and handrail system to fit your vision.
Are you inspired?
Visit our wooden and metal baluster system project galleries for additional details and pictures from our exquisite projects. From inspiration to installation our team is committed to designing and building the highest quality custom staircases. Our reputation speaks for itself and client satisfaction is our highest priority. Contact us today to discuss your next staircase project.
[Link title=”Request Consultation” href=”/contact-us/”][/Link]
Posted on behalf of Southern Staircase/Artistic Stairs
6025 Shiloh Road, Suite E
Alpharetta, GA, 30005
Phone: (888) 510-0342