Home improvement spending is continuously rising year after year. This includes renovations to or new builds for outdoor spaces such as exterior staircases and balconies. At this time in history, we are seeing homeowners primarily invest in making a house a home because of the large shift away from the office into home offices and living workspaces.
Functional, visually appealing exterior staircases or balcony railings can add protection for people of all ages with outdoor activities, connect your home to your outdoor space, and increase your home’s value.
Statistics on Home Improvement Spending
Every year NARI (National Association of Realtors® creates a Remodeling Impact Report, detailing studies found on home improvements and how happy homeowners are with theirs. Below is some takeaways from the 2022, (most recent) Remodeling Impact Report.
- Over a third of homeowners felt the most important result of remodeling is a more functional living space.
- Other homeowners attributed home remodels and renovations to durable and long-lasting results or added beauty and aesthetics.
- Home improvements have led to a greater desire to be home due to an increased sense of joy and the feeling of accomplishment and smart investment.
Moreover, HomeLight, a realtor organization found that renovating your outdoor space is one of the top renovations to increase your home value in 2023 and beyond.
Don’t remodel or install an exterior staircase or balcony with the sole expectation of receiving an ROI or significantly raising the value of your home. Even though on average home renovations offer a 70% ROI, do not depend on this. Remodel the parts of your outdoor space that you think need it and will increase functionality. Be proud of what you are remodeling and do it to add substance to your space.
Best Improvements to Exterior Staircases for an ROI
The most important factor to take into consideration is to make quality improvements. Think about why you are remodeling and how you will feel about it 10 years from now. Color, style, material, and design should be carefully considered with the input of stair professionals and not just done on a whim.
- Work with stair professionals to highlight the existing space you have. Even little square footage can appear larger with the right materials, colors, design, and lighting.
- High-end finishings like brushed steel, cable, and glass can drastically improve the aesthetics of your exterior staircase or balcony and promote a luxurious, welcoming ambiance.
- Add energy-saving lights to create an elegant clean design. Lighting can be added to any part of the staircase: balusters, handrails, stair risers, or treads. LED lighting can also keep costs low in the future for new homebuyers if you decide to sell.
Arizona Exterior Staircases by Artistic Stairs
Is your outdoor space your sanctuary, or do you want it to be? Make it better and more livable this year with an exterior staircase remodel or new build. Make your time outside happier and increase the value of your home. It’s time to invest in home projects that will give you and your guests high levels of enjoyment, gratification, and resale value.
Our builders specialize in steel staircase railings due to steel’s incredible durability and low maintenance, but we will design and install any pairings of materials you wish. Visit our offices in Phoenix or Tucson to get started on your exterior staircase remodel or new build. You can also contact the team at Artistic Stairs today online.
We are excited to be a part of your next home project.